Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake
Homemade Cake Recipes
On today’s segment I’ll show you how to make a chocolate sponge cake. Unlike a butter or oil cake, a sponge cake is lighter and less sweeter. An addition of whip cream or ganache and a garnish of fruit is all you need to dress the cake up.
The full ingredient list is located below. If this is your first time making a sponge cake, please review the video to become comfortable with the folding technique.
The dry ingredients must be sifted twice to avoid additional mixing time. I’m using cake flour, which aids in a tender crumb and the starch inhibits overworking the gluten.
- Coat the cake pans with baking spray or the same oil that your using for the cake. Line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour,cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 2 Tablespoons of the sugar. Whisk to make sure all the ingredients are fully distributed and combined and sift a second time to minimize the mixing time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yolks, oil, water, vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- Whip the egg whites on medium speed with a whip attachment until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and cream of tartar while whipping and continue to whip until medium peaks form. Avoid over-whipping.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredient and mix until lumps are removed. Please don’t overmix.
- Fold the egg white in 3 batches. Gently but thoroughly fold in the egg whites
- Bake at 350 Degrees F/177 C until the cake springs back when touched. ( Check cake 18 minutes in for doneness- If the cake still looks wobbly-give another 2 minutes. Bake for
- Once the cake is done, tap the cake against a surface once and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting.