EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Homemade Cake Recipes
On this segment you’ll learn to make this chocolate cake recipe from scratch. The batter can be mixed by hand a hand-held or a kitchen-aid mixer. If your using a mixer please remember to mix/blend the ingredients on low speed.
Grease using (baking spray, butter or shortening) and line the (2) 8″ round pans with parchment rounds.
If using butter, soften in the microwave for 15 seconds before applying it to the pan.
If mixing by hand; use a stainless steel or glass (Pyrex type) bowl.
1. Place the cocoa powder through a sifter. Hershey’s and Ghiardelli offer fabulous unsweetened type cocoas.
2. Begin whisking the cocoa and water mixture until it’s fluid and smooth in consistency similar to
chocolate milk. Make sure the mixture is completely smooth. Set it aside to cool for 15 minutes or so before adding the eggs; otherwise, you’ll end up with a chocolate scrambled egg concoction.
3. Next, blend the dry ingredients—granulated sugar, salt, and baking
soda. Whisk the all-purpose flour into the other dry ingredients. This step eliminates lumps in the flour and evenly distributes the ingredients.
4. Add the oil, vanilla extract and eggs to the cooled cocoa mixture.
Please make sure the cocoa mixture is cool enough (room temperature) so that it
doesn’t cook the eggs .
5. Stir the wet mixture into the dry and blend until the two are thoroughly
combined. Remember that flour, especially all-purpose flour, has the tendency
to become somewhat elastic when over-mixed. Don’t over-mix the wet and dry ingredients aggressively. Over-mixing can cause the the cake to have a tougher structure. Don’t beat the dry and wet ingredients; just mix them until the
flour is thoroughly distributed and you don’t see any lumps.
6. Divide the batter into two pans and place them into a 350 degree, preheated oven immediately.
Testing for Doneness
Gently Poke the center of the cake and watch for it to spring back.
Insert a toothpick or a bamboo skewer into the center
of the cake and lift it out until in comes out clean or accompanied by a few crumbs.
If the toothpick looks wet, that’s an indication that the center of the cake hasn’t baked
all the way through. Continue baking in 3 minute intervals until you achieve doneness.
Remove the cake from the pan after 15-20 minutes, and allow it to
cool completely before frosting.